CARBON MONOXIDE LEAK HOSPITALISES HOTEL GUESTS

A carbon monoxide leak at a hotel in Winnipeg, Manitoba in Canada has led to dozens of people being rushed to hospital in an emergency evacuation.

At around 10:20 AM local time the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service was called to the Super 8 hotel to find high levels of the gas in the building.

Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless, and highly poisonous. 46 people – including guests and staff – have been taken to hospital, including five in ‘unstable’ conditions.

Fire Paramedic Service Chief John Lane said that 15 people were considered to be in ‘critical’ condition: “I’m very happy to say none of the patients were requiring resuscitation, but their carbon monoxide levels were such that they were in the critical category.”

Manitoba Hydro is looking into the leak, but has not yet announced a cause.