From salt breezes to river safaris, Lonely Planet has left no hull unturned to collect 60 of the world's greatest water adventures for the publication of Amazing Boat Journeys this month.
Following the success of Lonely Planet's best-selling Amazing Train Journeys last year, Amazing Boat Journeys features accounts of 60 of the world's most unforgettable voyages over water, accompanied by beautiful photographs and practical details to assist travellers in planning their own memorable trips.
With a foreword by round-the-world sailor Jessica Watson, Amazing Boat Journeys celebrates a slower, more romantic and rewarding way of travelling — from sailing the Nile by felucca and cruising the Canadian Arctic, to reaching the Pitcairn Islands by cargo ship and exploring Halong Bay in Vietnam.
New Zealand is represented by Cook Strait Ferry and North Island’s Hauraki Gulf.
The book's other top journeys include:
- Felucca Nile Journey (Egypt)
- Cape Town Fishing Vessel (South Africa)
- Mississippi Paddle Steamer (USA)
- Amazon Exploration (Peru)
- The Galápagos Islands (Ecuador)
- Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego (Chile)
- Halong Bay (Vietnam)
- Kerala Backwaters (India)
- Mekong River (Vietnam and Cambodia)
- Yangtze River (China)
- Cigarette Boat on the Tonlé Sap (Cambodia)
- Dalmatian Coast (Croatia)
- Aran Islands Pilgrimage (Ireland)
- Aegean Islands (Greece)
- Blue Cruise (Turkey)
- Hurtigruten Fjords (Norway)
- Baltic Sea Crossing (Finland to Sweden)
- Marquesas Islands (French Polynesia)
- Sailing Ningaloo Reef (Australia)
- Coastal New Guinea (Papua New Guinea)
- Marine Mammals Expedition (Antarctica)